The Royal Society of New Zealand is seeking an experienced historian to prepare an update to the history of the Society in time for its 150th anniversary in 2017. It is envisaged that this history will focus on the last 50 years, as an extension of the detailed 1967 history of the Royal Society of New Zealand by C.A. Fleming: Science, Settlers and Scholars.
- A text of about 25,000 words plus illustrations and captions.
- Research will involve reference to RSNZ and government archives, various reports and research-focused interviews. The latter need not be of full archival quality but should inform the research.
- It is estimated that the writer’s time will be split between full-time researching/writing of text with some additional part-time work for editing, identification of illustrations and sourcing of copyright permissions.
- Final production – it is assumed that a web-based version will be produced. Some printed copies will be required but the likelihood of sales is small so a print run of 200 is probably sufficient.
- The degree of illustration needs to be assessed. Given the story of the Society is largely about people, appropriate illustrations may be hard to obtain, or significant costs might be incurred in order to research and obtain permission for suitable illustrations.
- Possible assistance with identification of materials (eg oral histories, images, video footage) that might be useful in creating multi-media resources may also be required.
- Edited text plus illustrations needs to be completed by mid-2016.
Expressions of interest containing 1 to 2 pages outlining your approach to the research, text writing, schedule and costs, should be addressed via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date for expressions of interest is 10 April 2015. For further information, please contact Faith Atkins 04 470 5781 or go to www.royalsociety.org.nz/history